Saturday, March 22, 2014

God's Faithfulness and Provision

In the past month, I have been blown away completely by God, and by you. A month ago, I was informed by my missions organization that my account was "in the red" by several hundred dollars, and that I needed $6000 to keep me here until June. I have to be honest. I was nervous. I've seen God come through for me before, countless times, but like the Israelites in Exodus, I found it hard to see and remember all the things he had done for me because of this looming giant staring me in the face. I didn't want to have to ask my faithful supporters and friends for money when I knew I would be asking them again in just a few short months. 

How fitting that we should be studying the story of Moses and the Israelites right now. I'm teaching my children about God parting the Red Sea and openly providing for his people, and all the while he is whispering to my heart.

As Pharaoh approached, the Israelites looked up, and there were the Egyptians marching after them. They were terrified and cried out to the Lord...Moses answered the people, "Do not be afraid. Stand firm and you will see the deliverance the Lord will bring you today. The Egyptians you see today you will never see again. The Lord will fight for you; you need only to be still."(Exodus 14:10, 13-14)

We all know what happens. The Israelites cross through the Red Sea on dry land, Pharaoh and his army are drowned in the sea, and God frees his people.

That day the Lord saved Israel from the hands of the Egyptians, and Israel saw the Egyptians lying dead on the shore. And when the Israelites saw the mighty hand of the Lord displayed against the Egyptians, the people feared the Lord and put their trust in him and in Moses his servant.
(Exodus 14:30-31)


My story is small in comparison, but the truths remain the same. God takes care of his people. He keeps his promises, and he does it in surprising and unexpected ways.

Many of you have heard about my situation of needing additional funds to keep me here until June, and you willingly and sacrificially gave. In the short days after sending out emails and updating this blog, I began to receive emails from my missions organization telling me that people had been sending in financial gifts, and they just couldn't wait to tell me. They were praying for me, and rejoicing with me as we watched God provide.

My eyes are brimming with tears as I type this. My account has received an additional $3500 in the past month, in addition to the normal monthly financial support I receive. You have selflessly given, and I cannot express to you how much it means to me. You are a beautiful example of God's provision and love.

Thank you. I can only say thank you.
Thank you for believing in me, and in the work that God is doing here.

There is nowhere I would rather be than here, loving and teaching my precious and beautiful students. It seems that God wants me to stay here as well. :)