Wednesday, March 11, 2015

Amazing Mucus!

We're learning about the immune system in class, and this week we talked about mucus! One, it's disgusting, but two, it really helps our bodies get the germs out. We talked about what its job is, why our bodies make more of it when we're sick, labeled the different areas of our sinuses, etc. 

Since we were learning about mucus, I decided we should probably make some. I happen to be quite the slime making expert, thanks to my three summers working with Mad Science. I don't, however, have all my awesome slime making materials here in Germany, so we made the "oobleck" version with cornstarch and water. 

(Language side note: just because you translate something on google translate does NOT mean it's an accurate translation. What I thought was the correct translation of cornstarch in fact did not exist, but thankfully, Rachel and I searched the aisles at the grocery store and I was able to find it. For those of you who want to know, cornstarch in German is Speise Stärke). :) 

My kids freaked out, and had a blast. I took some faceless photos so I could share them with you. These photos were taken in the earlier section of the experiment...we got a little, uh, messier as time went on. 

Yay for mucus!