Wednesday, May 14, 2014

Reading Month Update


Things are going well at CSK! We're all more well-read these days, and it's the kind of thing that makes the hearts of teachers melt. My kids are so motivated that they're whipping books out of their desks during our five minute transition periods, and taking books to read while they walk around at recess. My English kids are reading German books for fun, my German kids are reading English books for fun, and we're all learning lots of new things!

Last Friday was "dress up like your favorite book character" day, and we had knights, comic book characters, a Clifford, Willy Wonka, and more in company. I wish I could post pictures here, but they'll be in my next newsletter. I can post the picture that my roommate, Rachel, and I took together. Obviously I would choose to be Viola Swamp. That's a no brainer. I stayed in character for a good part of the day, including using my scary and serious voice. One of my girls kept saying, "Oh Ms. Collins, you keep making me laugh today." All in all, a good day. :)


Here's an updated picture of our castle: less than 2 weeks in! Note all the green bricks- I think they've read about 300 books. My third graders are definitely intense and motivated readers.