Sunday, September 21, 2014

Back Into the Swing of Things

Well, I've been back in Germany for a month now, and things are settling into their normal routine! Thanks to the generosity and prayers of so many back home, I was able to leave for Germany with plenty of time to get over jet lag, attend staff events with Black Forest Academy, set up my classroom, participate in staff meetings for my school (CSK), and other such things. As much as I miss home, it does feel good to be back and beginning my third year here.

And it was SO good to see the children come back to school on September 8th. I loved seeing the familiar faces of the students in 2nd and 3rd grade, and walking up the stairs with my own students to begin a new year with them as 4th graders! It's such a privilege to be able to teach these children again for another year, and to have the chance to continue to teach and love them as they grow and mature.

This year my class has grown by two students, so I now have 26! It's the largest class in the school, and Hanna and I had to rearrange our classroom setup to be able to accommodate all the desks! I have 11 English students and 15 German students, and they're already showing how much they have grown over the summer- in both mind and body. They all shot up like weeds! I just know that several of them will be as tall as I am by the end of the year.

My schedule has changed a bit this year as well. I'm teaching some of the same things: English language arts to my English speakers, English language development to my German students, science/social studies, and Bible. But this year I am also teaching two lessons of art to the 1st and 2nd graders. I have to admit, I was really excited about this opportunity, because I love art so much, and would most likely never have this opportunity back home because so many of the extra programs are being cut in the public schools. So that will be fun, and I'll definitely have some stories to tell. One of the biggest challenges with teaching the younger students is that their English isn't as developed yet, especially in regards to the 1st graders. Most of them come to our school with no English at all. It's going to be interesting!

Aside from school, I've been trying to get out and do some fun things. I've had some lovely and memorable times with friends, and have been enjoying the beginnings of the fall weather! As I type this, my bedroom window is cracked open and I'm listening to the pleasant sounds of rain hitting the pavement. The late summer storms are something I miss when I'm home in California.

My mind has already started to process the fact that this is my last year here in Germany, and that I need to enjoy the seasons and times with loved ones as they come. This weekend was the pottery market in town, which has always been one of the highlights of the fall season for me. One of the things I'm striving towards is being more intentional in spending time with people. I love this place, and my prayer is that God will help my heart in the transition even now, when it's just starting.

My roommate Rachel and I having some fun on a rainy day. I'm so thankful for her.
My partner teacher, Hanna, and I on the first day of school. :)

Dear friends at the pottery market. 


Some pictures from walks I've taken in the past few weeks.