Sunday, January 11, 2015

Happy New Year

It's been a while since I've sent out a newsletter, I know, but I'm happy to report that one will be on its way this week via email or snail mail (if I don't have your email address). It will contain pictures of my kiddos and some of the events from this fall, which I'm not allowed to post online. If you're not on my list and would like to be, just email me at acollins@teachbeyond.org and I'll add you.

I had the opportunity to go home for Christmas this year, and it was really refreshing to spend some time away. It has been a difficult few months at work, for reasons I don't necessarily need to dive into, and I needed some time to reset my perspective and rest. I was able to spend time with family and friends, and I can't express how much of a gift that was after four months away. When you're gone you miss out on things, and I had a lot to catch up on. Most of my time was spent with my family, which is just what I needed. I was also able to see my lovely (and pregnant) friend Rochelle, my dear love Wendi, her husband, and my adorable nephew. In addition, I spent a significant amount of time with my boyfriend, Josh, and am happy to report that now, after five months of dating, we've spent a whopping three weeks together in person. Oh, the joys of long distance. That being said, it was lovely to interact and have conversations without the necessity of a screen. :)

One area of my life that hasn't been as warm and fuzzy as of late is my health. Before Christmas break I contracted strep throat. It had been going around the school and my roommate Rachel had it too, so it was just a matter of time before my terrible immune system decided to pick it up. I got some antibiotics, missed some school, and felt better. Over Christmas break I felt okay, but as I was traveling back, I began to feel absolutely terrible again. Not sure what it was, I went to the doctor on Monday this past week (I flew in late Sunday night) and what did I have? Strep. Again. She told me I couldn't teach the three days of school that week that we had, so I've been hanging out at home, resting, and sleeping on the couch. I officially go back to work tomorrow, and I hope that I'm well enough to make it through this week. My energy levels aren't necessarily up to par, but we'll see. I would so appreciate prayer about this- my desire is to start the new year off well, and being sick makes the idea of jumping feet first into school again difficult.

As I look ahead to these last 6 months in my second home, my mind struggles to stay in the "here and now". As I'm sure you can understand, or have experienced, when you need to begin making plans for the future, you tend to travel there in your thoughts without always meaning to. I've been thinking ahead to where I'm going to apply for jobs, where I'll potentially get hired, where I want to live, what life will be like in the Bay Area again after living in another country for 3 years, etc. There's a lot to think about. But I have also had great talks with God about wanting to finish this year well- with my students, their parents, my colleagues, friends, etc. This has been my home and my life for so long, and I will be sad to leave it. There's a lot I'm going to miss. Several people have pointed out to me that I need to soak up as many experiences as I can while I'm still here, because I'm "never going to be able to do it again". It's sad for me to admit, but I can certainly see their point. I probably won't. So I'm striving to keep my mind off the future as much as possible and on the present, because I have quite a bit to do in my remaining months here. We're busy in 4th grade. :)

One verse that I came across in my reading recently stood out to me, and I plan to write it down and put it up somewhere in my room. One of my weaknesses is forgetfulness, and it sneaks into multiple areas of my life. I want to be intentional about remembering all of the amazing things I've done while I've been here, and have yet to do. Many fond memories and deep friendships have been created. God's got big plans for these 6 months, and I can't wait to discover what they are.

Deuteronomy 4:9 (NIV)
Only be careful, and watch yourselves closely so that you do not forget the things your eyes have seen or let them fade from your heart as long as you live.